Raventree Hollow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confrontation

2 posters

Go down

Confrontation Empty Confrontation

Post by Alessandra Scipio Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 am

After my shopping trip to the mall and my unexpected but pleasant encounters there, I had found an apartment. There wasn't much to choose from in Silver Lake; I took the most expensive ... "suite" ... in the most expensive apartment building in the city, which wasn't saying a whole lot. I'd lived a certain lifestyle in the past, and since coming here had adapted to luxuries of this age; I was unaccustomed to going without them, but I'd adapt, as I always did. Besides, I was taking Gavin's offer very seriously, and I probably wouldn't be here very long anyway. I unpacked my purchases and laid them about the room ... the outfits that Sophia had helped me pick out ... or really, rather, that she had picked out ... were perfect for me. The girl was truly gifted in this area.

I was considering my other predicament when I heard more thunder from outside. I stepped to the window, seeing lightning strike several times in the distance, lighting up the entire sky in brilliant blue and gray. I found myself smiling widely. A major storm was coming, and that's something I couldn't stay indoors for. I left my room, taking an umbrella with me for appearance's sake. I smirked and ignored the doorman as he told me that I shouldn't go out in such weather.

I walked out just as the downpour started. I stepped into an alley, and used my speed to reach a forested hill that was visible from my apartment in only a few moments. I stood there on the hilltop, letting the rain wash over me, looking up at the sky with my eyes closed and smiling in ... reverence? I had always done this, since being made (which was essentially the same as, 'since I could remember'), and I remembered how it had irritated Scipio Africanus to no end, although he would never tell me why. That only made my smile widen.

I finally lowered my concentration a bit, and let the voices of the wind and the thunder be heard. The wind was delighted at my little run, and at its own furious movement during the storm. It said nothing important to me, as was the case over 90% of the time. The thunder was a different story ... it was enjoying it's own thing at the moment, but it was also encouraging me to toss some trees around, or something. The thunder loved it when I did loud things, even destructive things ... as long as there was a lot of noise. I realized that the application of human emotions to natural phenomena was not exactly accurate, but it was the closest I'd been able to come to understanding this part of my power. I could listen to the clouds, the rain, and the lightning also, but I almost never did. The clouds took forever to say anything, and it was never anything important. The lightning created fear and awe in me in equal measure, and spoke of frightening things, even for a being like myself. The rain was depressed, always morose. Again, my description of these things was not entirely accurate, just the best way I could describe them, if I had to, to another.

I was so caught up in reverie that I did lower all of my blocks, and let the other voices in. I tried not to be disturbed by the lightning, and the clouds were speaking just a little more quickly than usual, but still saying nothing worthwhile. And the rain ... wait ... what was that? I closed the other voices out, listening only to the rain. It was depressed again, this time about not being able to share its glorious wetness with another, a man in particular. That wasn't unusual, given the invention of umbrellas, but something was different ... this man didn't have one of those things (the rain didn't have a word for them, but I understood what was meant), but still, he did not get wet ... the raindrops were stopped an inch from him, and they simply rolled off, never touching his skin or clothing. I pressed the rain for more information; it couldn't tell me what he had looked like, only what he would have looked like if the rain had been able to douse him. My pleasure came to an abrupt end.

"Damn."

The wind had lied ... or rather, been mistaken. I had grown complacent ... I knew this was one of the dangers of listening to the weather; the wind didn't measure distance as humans and even vampires did. In the past, I'd learned this lesson the hard way; my reliance on the things I heard in the weather had almost gotten me killed, twice. But since I'd moved forward in time, the wind had been more accurate, if not more consistent; it had warned me of the two vampires in Ipswich, but not that I was about to attempt to feed on a dangerous witch. I had to remind myself yet again that I had to understand that talking to the weather was not like talking to another vampire or human.

I was standing beside my car a moment later, I'd been in motion even before I realized it. I opened the door, got in, turned the key in the ignition, and left the parking lot, heading east. I was still soaking wet, but not bothered about it in the slightest ... what would happen, I would catch cold? I would have chuckled at the thought if there weren't a very real possibility that I was driving to my final end. I'd managed to get a general idea of where the boy was, from the rain and then the thunder, and I had to hurry. I couldn't let him cross into Silverlake's 'family' territory ... I wanted a fresh beginning with them, and that probably wouldn't happen if I killed and fed from a human, even a witch, on their land. I dried my hand, and started dialing some contacts on my cell phone. I hadn't had time to consult with Gavin's friend, but I had other friends who might have peripheral knowledge of what I was about to go up against.
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Confrontation Empty Re: Confrontation

Post by Matthew Davion Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 pm

I'd driven straight through, stopping only for gas and food. The trip had taken just over 22 hours; it wasn't too difficult to keep a car from showing up on any speed detectors, and I'd had to learn that particular trick the day that Lucas got his license. I stopped at a nondescript motel on the western outskirts of Minneapolis, paid for a room, and unloaded a few bags from my car. I was worn out ... I'd stayed up for three days straight, with plenty of coffee and a little magic, before leaving Ipswich, trying to cram in everything I could that might help me survive what I was about to undertake. But now I had to stop and rest, prepare myself mentally and ... 'spiritually', I guess, although knowing the source of my powers made me wonder if that was the correct word.

I immediately unpacked some of my gear and began warding the room, using the adjustments that Elise and Gabriel had suggested. If the vampire managed to break through these, she'd have to work at it, and I'd have time to wake up. But first she had to find me, to know I was coming, and I didn't think she had any reason to believe that was the case. The Book had been pretty specific about her power, at least what was known about it, and it didn't involve any psychic or tracking abilities. As I continued to work, I thought of my friends back home, and wondered for the millionth time if I was making the right decision. They were my coven, my responsibility, and if something happened to one of them while I was gone ... I don't think I could ever forgive myself. And I had to do this, for their sake, for all our sakes. I was slightly reassured that, as far as the rest of the supernatural world was concerned, Ipswich was a 'no-fly-zone'. A couple hundred years ago our ancestors had made that painfully clear to several bands of vampires and the werewolves that inevitably showed up after them, and we'd had no major trouble since then, at least not close to home.

By the time I finished the wards, I was half-asleep. I fumbled in my coat pocket for my cell phone ... I'd promised to call James when I stopped for some rest ... and remembered that I'd left it in the car. I stood up, opened the door, and walked out to my car, clicking the locks open. I was reaching for the door handle when I was pushed to the ground hard, the breath knocked out of me. I looked up, and the adrenaline kicked in, instantly wiping away my grogginess. The vampire was on top of me, and she had her right hand on my chest directly over my heart, having ripped my shirt and pushed it over. Fuck.

Matthew Davion

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm

It hadn't been too terribly hard to find the witch ... the rain had been able to give me his approximate location, and his unique scent made it easy to track him once I got close. I crouched on the roof above the motel room he'd rented. I'd learned a few things about witches in general, and this one (or at least his coven) in particular, through my contacts. I was pretty sure that trying to enter his room would be a bad idea ... he'd have it warded by now. I could probably break through them, but that would wake him, and lead to a fair fight ... and I wasn't that confident, especially after my last experience with him.

I smiled when he stumbled out of the room, heading for his car. He was obviously groggy ... my smile widened as my eyes grew darker. This would be too easy. When he reached for the door to his car, I leaped on top of him with blinding speed, pinning him to the ground and ripping his shirt so that I could place my hand directly on his bare skin. I saw him become alert, and I shook my head slowly, still smiling, as I put my left index finger up to his mouth.

"One word ... no, one syllable ... or the slightest hint of black in those pretty brown eyes ... and you will die."

Just to let him know I meant business, I sent a small jolt into him ... not enough to harm him at all, just enough to cause his heart so skip a beat and let him know I wasn't bluffing.

"Why are you following me? Yes, I attacked you in a moment of weakness, but you overcame me, and I retreated ... halfway across a rather large country, I might add. I did not dawdle in your little town. I did not feed on any of its residents. And I do not appreciate being stalked. I can be patient ... I have lived a long time ... but right now I am finding that that particular virtue escapes me. I hope you have a good explanation, or I will find out if your blood tastes as unique as it smells. And then I will turn my attention to your little 'coven', to make sure they don't live long enough to avenge your death."
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 pm

I had to restrain myself from drawing on my power ... my eyes had just started to turn black when she warned me against that, and then I groaned as I felt a small burst of electricity from her hand. It hadn't really hurt, but it had confirmed what the Book had said ... and I knew that she could produce much more than that small jolt. I held my hands up slowly in surrender, my eyes locked on hers. I didn't know what to do ... she'd told me not to speak, then asked me to explain myself. If only my life were at stake here, I'd have tried to repel her, but I didn't want to bet that I could get her off of me before she took advantage of her skin contact. And I couldn't fail ... if I did, the others would try to avenge me, and what I feared most, what I'd left my own coven to prevent, would probably happen. I decided to risk speaking, but slowly, so she would know that I wasn't trying to slip any magical phrases in.

"Let's talk inside. I'll drop the wards. I'll explain what I can. I won't attack you unless you attack me first ... you have my given word on that."

I couldn't help but notice how beautiful she was, now, when she wasn't snapping her teeth at me ... but then, according to what I'd read, that's what all vampires were like. And she smelled ... wonderful, exotic, alluring. Also to be expected. I understood now, truly understood, why our ancestors had considered vampires so dangerous, and why they'd gathered all of the Ipswich witches of that time, even the ones who hadn't reached eighteen yet, to teach the vampires not to interfere with us.

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 pm

I tensed as his eyes started to turn black, then relaxed just slightly as they changed back to their normal appearance. From what I'd been told, this boy was a dangerous adversary, even though he hadn't reached full maturity yet. I had used the element of surprise to gain an advantage, and I had to be careful to keep that advantage. I listened as he spoke slowly, watching his face carefully. I had no mental abilities to discern truth from falsehood, as others vampires I'd known had, no ability to read emotions as Sophia did ... but many years of observation had allowed me to read facial expressions fairly well. Vampires were better at hiding theirs, of course, as long as the desire to feed wasn't involved, but humans were much easier ... I had to remind myself that this was no ordinary human, though. He seemed sincere ... but then again, from what I'd been told, he was not only a witch, but a hell-witch. I didn't understand the difference exactly, having known almost nothing about witches before my cell phone conversations on the way here and my two close-up encounters with them, but those of the latter type were said to be deceptive and manipulative by their very nature. There could be no room for mistakes here.

I kept my hand on his bare chest as I pulled him roughly up to a standing position. I was sure I was leaving bruises, but I wouldn't break any bones ... not yet, at least. I wanted to feed from him, here and now, and end the threat he posed ... but my intentions to try to live as the vampires of Silver Lake did was sincere, and I was going to try to abide by that. If he was foolish enough to try to attack me ... all bets were off.

I pushed him toward the door, my right arm wrapped around him to keep my hand in place, my mouth just an inch from his neck ... he had to crouch down a little as he walked to accomodate our difference in height. I couldn't help but notice as my arm was wrapped around him that he was in superb physical shape for a human; combined with his natural facial features, he would have made a stunning vampire even by our standards. I didn't speak as we walked ... my earlier words, and the position of my hand, made chatter unnecessary; also, I had never been one to repeat threats ... I made my intentions clear once, and only once, and then if someone crossed a line I'd drawn, I didn't bother with further words: I acted.

We reached the door to his hotel room, and I growled into his ear.

"Lower your wards then ... slowly, and carefully ... "

I brushed my lips against his neck to make it clear what would happen if he tried anything. His scent, the smell of himself and his blood ... it was different, and now I could guess why. It wasn't more or less attractive than any other human's blood, not to me, but it was unlike any other I'd encountered before.
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm

I watched her face as she watched mine ... she was wondering whether to trust me or just go ahead and kill me, no doubt. I breathed a sigh of relief as she roughly jerked me up from my prone position, and walked behind me toward my hotel room door. I was sure she'd left some bruises, but those would be gone in a matter of hours ... or sooner, if I lived through this and had the opportunity to draw on my power again.

I didn't speak as we walked, not wanting to say the wrong thing and set her off. I'd was beating myself up mentally; I'd been such a fool, to be caught flat-footed like this. Maybe it would be better if I did die here, and Lucas took over leadership of the coven. He was hot-headed, but he'd never have allowed a vampire to trap him like this.

When we reached the door and she instructed me to lower the wards, I raised my hands to begin, then froze as she brushed her lips against my neck. I was desperate ... I decided to go for straight honesty, making sure I still spoke slowly.

"Look ... please ... if you're going to kill me, do it with your ability, not ... the other way. You caught me, I know I couldn't get away from you before you electrocuted me; I could have warded myself against that, I learned a few spells before I came here that would have insulated me, but I didn't have time to use any of them. But just don't bite me ... please."

I hated begging, and tried to keep as much dignity in my voice as I did so. It was a gamble ... if she were a malicious creature, she might do just what I'd asked her not to out of spite, but I was gambling that that wasn't the case. God help me ... help us all ... if I was wrong. It would almost be a relief if she did electrocute me. The alternative was unbearable to think about.

I raised my hands slowly and began gesturing. I didn't need words for this, to disappate wards that I had set myself, only a few gestures. Unfortunately, I had to disable the power wards along with the protective wards; they were intertwined, I'd been too tired when I'd arrived here to lay them separately, and I'd have no magical advantage inside the hotel room now. I finished quickly, then reached down and opened the door ... this was a dinky motel, no key cards here ... and let it creak open.

Last edited by Matthew Davion on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 pm

I tilted my head, puzzled, at his words. I had to keep reminding myself that I couldn't be seduced by the possible lies of a hell-witch, but his words practically reeked of sincerity. I could feel his heart racing, which had started the moment my lips had brushed his neck. He had gained some knowledge of me somehow, and that he would be explaining shortly ... I had to assume he had also gained some general knowledge of vampires. Why should he care whether he died from electrical shock or being drained of all of his blood? Was he afraid I would try to turn him? He didn't strike me as a coward, his eyes hadn't betrayed any fear even when I'd ambushed him in his home, and then tonight ... I couldn't see him being afraid of the three days of excruciating pain that accompanied being turned. Perhaps, having gained the knowledge that he had, he simply did not want to become one of us ... but that still didn't explain, given his lack of fear previously, why his heart was racing so wildly now. He had given me powerful leverage in what he'd revealed in his plea, I was sure of that, but something made me not want to use that against him, at least not at the present. I'd have to keep a careful eye on this one. My plans to become a 'vegetarian' were apparently weakening my ruthlessness, my resolve ... I'd have to keep an eye on that, as well. I pulled my lips back from his neck slightly.

"I won't bite you unless you give me no other choice ... mind that you make great effort to keep from putting me in that position."

I felt his heart begin to calm immediately. I watched carefully as he disabled his wards, my right hand clutching his chest, my nails digging into his skin ever so slightly as a warning. When he reached down and opened the door, I pushed him through slowly ... as soon as we crossed the threshold and I found myself unharmed, I relaxed my grip just a bit.

"So ... on the life of the others in your coven ... do you swear that there are no other magics herein that will harm me?"
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:05 pm

"I will never put you in that position."

I breathed a sigh of relief as she pulled back from my neck slightly, and I felt my heart start to calm down. I let her push me forward at her own pace, my hands still raised in front of me.

"There's nothing else. I ah ... "

I bit my lip, knowing that I'd told her probably too much already, but I couldn't risk this going wrong. Another gamble, then.

"It's going to be difficult for us to have a conversation in this position. When you attacked me, in my home, my power was enhanced by the power wards there. I had some of the same wards set on this room, but I had to disable them along with the protective wards ... as tired as I was, I didn't have the energy to set the wards separately. If you'll let me go, we'll cut the lights on, and you can watch my eyes. Without those power wards, and in my current condition, I have no doubt that you'd be able to electrocute me, or rip my head off, in such close quarters, before I could do anything to stop you. Can we ... can we call a truce?"

I waited for her answer. I wasn't 'up to' anything, I was trying to be completely honest, and hope that she'd hear that. I didn't want to fight her, and I certainly didn't want to kill her ... there were very strong reasons why I didn't want her to turn me, but there were equally strong reasons why I didn't want to kill her, even if I could. I could have interpreted the Book incorrectly, but I was pretty sure that as great a danger as this vampire was to us, she could potentially be as great an asset.

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:27 pm

I raised an eyebrow curiously at his response to my warning ... his tone was sure and certain, with the very tiniest hint of desperation ... I knew that he was telling me the truth, that he would make sure he never put me in a position to bite him. That eased my tension somewhat.

I reached over and found the light switch, flipping it up to cut the lights in the room on. He'd barely unpacked, and that he'd done sloppily, which seemed to conflict with what I'd been told about him ... he was indeed exhausted.

I turned him around to face me, careful not to break his arm. From what I'd been told, he wouldn't be fragile at all if he were holding his power, but when he was facing me again I confirmed that his eyes were normal. I pushed him back to his bed, then sat him down on it, using my free hand to pull up one of the two chairs so that I could sit facing him, in striking distance. I withdrew my hand from his skin slowly, warily.

"Keep your eyes on mine, witch boy. We have a truce, of sorts ... just mind what I've told you. I'm not in the habit of repeating myself."

I sat down slowly, crossing my legs and smoothing out my long skirt while keeping eye contact with him as he tried to adjust his shirt.

"Tsk tsk. I'd prefer you not do that."

He stopped, slowly removing his hands from his shirt and putting them on the bed beside him, palms down.

"Now ... I'd like the answers to my earlier questions."

I smiled at him patiently, my expression carrying confidence and danger in equal measure.
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Fear is the mind-killer, ...

I chanted in my mind, a non-magical verse to calm myself. A science fiction author named Frank Herbert had picked that up and used it in his books, back in the sixties or seventies, but the verse was much older than his books, and amazingly effective. I needed to be at my best for this conversation ... as well as I could, given my fatigue.

I started speaking, still slowly, making sure I didn't let my eyes waver from hers ... not that they wanted to, her gaze was almost hypnotic. Also to be expected. Her glamor, or whatever it was called, would not work on me, even though I wasn't holding the Power. At least, I didn't think it would.

"I probably can't tell you everything that you'd like to know, but I'll share what I can and hope it's enough. I didn't follow you here to harm you, kill you, or even interfere with you. I came here to ... observe you. Well, not just you. As you've probably learned by now, Silver Lake and the nearby town of Raventree Hollow are not your typical human settlements. My kind ... we've battled vampires before, but not the other inhabitants of the area. I need to learn as much about both as possible."

I exhaled, the verse having done its job ... I was calm and collected again. I had to tread carefully, giving her enough information to keep myself alive, but not telling her too much. I knew some things about her, but not enough to know what she'd do if she knew the whole truth.

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:54 pm

I started to tense as I saw his mouth moving just slightly ... only a vampire or a creature with equally sharp senses would even have noticed ... but I relaxed when my enhanced hearing told me what he was mumbling. I chuckled in amusement. I was surprised that that particular chant was still used in this time, and I knew it was non-magical.

I frowned when he said he couldn't tell me everything, but I'd listen to what he would tell me ... and if I had to extract the rest by force, so be it.

I nodded.

"Just so ... I have gathered some information about these two places, although your appearance here and the necessity that I intercept you prevented me from gathering as much information as I'd have liked. I have time ... "

I chuckled again.

"all the time in the world ... to gather information."

I raised an eyebrow.

"What requires that you observe me? There are other vampires much closer to your home, surely you must know that. And as for the others ... "

I wrinkled my nose.

"I can't say with certainty, but it seems likely that there are also some packs of them closer to your home. Why come all this way ... why abandon your coven like that? I'm told you're their leader. As you know, my kind does not approach Ipswich ... had I been informed of that, and had I not been feeling the hunger acutely, I would never have wound up in your home that night ... but there are other dangers to hell-witches. And my kind does keep tabs on your town through human intermediaries. Why abandon your responsibility in this way, why leave your coven-mates without, if my information is correct, their most powerful member, their leader, their champion?"
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I spoke, my tone firm but not menacing.

"I would appreciate it if you would not call me a 'hell-witch'; I have not used any of the slang terms for your kind, and I would ask the same courtesy from you ... and it is more complicated than that. My soul is my own, and the same is true of my friends."

I frowned deeply ... she had information that she shouldn't have, we prided ourselves on the skill with which we followed our Covenant of secrecy. If I survived this, I'd have to phone Lucas and tell him and the others to find these 'human intermediaries' and deal with them.

I had to think quickly but carefully. I had to give her answers that would satisfy her, but not reveal too much. I could see in her face, in her determined gaze, that if I didn't tell her enough she would try to make me.

"There is something unique about this place, about its residents, and ... and about you. Something that concerns my coven. I didn't want to leave, but I had no choice. I don't know yet exactly what this 'uniqueness' entails, but I have to find out. And I have to prevent ... "

I inhaled deeply, knowing I was walking on the edge here.

"I have to prevent certain things from happening. I can't tell you what they are. But these things ... they would be disastrous not only for my kind, but also for yours, and possibly for many, many others."

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:19 pm

I laughed, my truly amused laugh. Apparently I'd hit a sore-spot, calling him a 'hell-witch'.

"Whatever the exact terms of the Pact that gives you your powers, that's what you are ... but, for the sake of our little 'truce', I will refrain from using that phrase again."

I watched him weigh his next words carefully, as well as his response to my knowledge of him and his kind. I had a strong feeling that very shortly the flow of information that we vampires tapped from Ipswich would be abruptly severed.

I listened to his words carefully. I was frowning slightly, in consideration and slight consternation. He was brave, this one ... to openly admit that he was withholding information from me when I knew a hundred ways to make him beg to tell me everything he had ever known about anything.

"This place is certainly unique, I'll give you that, and I am curious myself to explore."

I leaned forward, reaching up to put my right hand under his chin, locking his gaze firmly with mine.

"If these things you fear are so dangerous, you should tell me. If, as you say, they are a danger to my kind, I would help you prevent them from coming to pass. We could be allies."
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 pm

I nodded, not feeling the need to argue. Yes, we were technically "Nephandic witches", but our Pact was so different than any we'd heard about, I didn't think we fit the category exactly.

"Thank you."

I shivered just slightly when she touched my chin ... I'd noticed that her skin was ice-cold before, but it seemed even colder now. I felt a small part of my mind wanting to obey her, to inhale her glorious scent and to tell her everything I knew; fortunately I'd been right, though, that was only a small part, and her glamor could not coerce me to say anything that I wouldn't have done anyway.

I smiled.

"Um ... your glamor won't work on me, even when I'm not using my power. I've told you what I can. Is it enough? If we can learn to ... to trust each other, which I'd like very much ... I'd like for us to be able to share information in the future. I will tell you that I know some things about you, about your history ... you've probably guessed that. But again, I can't tell you how I know, or even what I know, not yet. You have my word that I will open up to you, but that can only come with trust. So ... what are you going to do?"

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra Scipio Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:31 pm

I frowned again, a little more angrily, as he resisted me. I had guessed that he'd known something about me, the way he'd known about my ability and that I was capable of much more than the small jolt I'd given him earlier. I moved my lips just a little closer to him, still keeping my eyes on his.

"You know, if I turned you, you'd tell me anything I wanted to know as long as I kept you fed. I am now tempted."

I felt him tense, and saw a small darkness in the far corners of his eyes ... he was willing to risk battle, and almost certain death, to keep from being turned; he hadn't been lying about that. I backed away from him slowly, releasing his chin, and watched as the darkness receded from his eyes. I stood.

"I will consider your offer; perhaps we can learn to trust each other ... "

I chuckled.

"as much as a vampire and a hel ... one of your kind can trust each other."

I stroked his chin with my index finger.

"This conversation is over. I will leave you to reset your wards and rest. We will talk again soon, Matthew Davion. Take care when you enter Silver Lake ... the vampires there aren't like others, but when they detect your unique scent, they will be curious ... and they may not be as tame in satisfying their curiosity as I am. And know that, as surely as you will be watching me ... I ... will be watching ... you."

I left him with a cryptic smile, turning and leaving the room in the blink of an eye. It took me only seconds to reach my car, and I began the drive back to Silver Lake. I'd decided to take Gavin up on his offer, if it still stood; I'd been sorely tempted to feed from the witch, and I knew that if I was going to succeed in this new lifestyle, I would need all the support I could get ... that chafed, I wasn't used to depending on others, but as always, I would adapt. That had always been one of my strengths, one that had puzzled many of the other vampires I'd known.

LP
Alessandra Scipio
Alessandra Scipio

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Davion Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 pm

I let out a sigh of relief as Alessandra left, but I couldn't rest, not just yet. I stood immediately, resetting the wards, this time setting the protection and the power wards separately. I was almost a zombie by the time I finished, collapsing onto the bed. I had one more thing to do, though. I reached over feebly for my cell phone, and called Lucas. I told him about the human spies in Ipswich, and he sounded almost ... no, he sounded completely ... gleeful as he promised to take care of it. He asked how I was doing; he could tell that I was exhausted, and that something had happened. I was surprised by his persistence; our relationship had always been one of brothers, yes, but rivals nonetheless. I hung up with him, and closed my eyes. That had gone far better than I'd had any right to expect it to. I was alive, I hadn't been bitten, and I hoped I was beginning to earn Alessandra's trust ... or at least we were coming to an understanding. I didn't have time to think too much on it, however, as I fell asleep quickly. I slept soundly, despite the nightmares that I'd had since reading the Book after Alessandra's attack, the nightmares that were full of blood, human screams, and witches with pale skin and eyes that were windows into the very flames of Hell.

LP

Matthew Davion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum